Wednesday, June 14, 2006

I'm on the Marines side this time

Good morning everyone, been awhile since I posted. Thought I'd share some thoughts about a few of the brave Marines that have been fighting in Iraq, in a war not of their making. A war they fight because they are duty bound to do so, agreeing or disagreeing with the reasons for the war.
Right now there are I think 9 US Marines in custody. They are not under arrest, but they are in solitary confinement. Ummm....OK. Well.....if they aren't under arrest, then why are they in solitary confinement? Our illustrious President Bush has said there will be an investigation, and if anyone has broken the law they will be held accountable. Seems I remember him saying the exact same thing when the Plame affair raised it's head. The entire world saw how accountable the White Administration held its self in that case.
However this is an entirely different case. This is a case of war. Bush has repeatedly told us that we are at war. Well folks, I have never been to war. I was a police officer for 23 years, sometimes I thought I was at war, but actually I wasn't.
The only expertise I have about war is what I have read in books about past wars. In war, you have death and destruction.......lots of it. I know the Iraqis have had their fare share also.
What we as a nation have to remember is that soldiers are human beings, NOT machines. Although they are human beings trained in the art of war, they are more than likely going to make mistakes. Most of us have never been in any situation close to what it is like in Iraq with IED's and the like. I'm almost sure that an ambush is probably the most chaotic situation to be in, no matter how many times you have been involved in one. The soldiers reacted, they shot, people died, even children were among the dead. Many people will think me heartless for this next statement. The soldiers reactions, the deaths they caused.......are COLLATERAL DAMAGE or casualties. I can't say this for sure as I wasn't there. Neither was President Bush, but the people that Bush himself put into the arena of war were. They did their jobs, as it relates to war. We as a people need to stand behind these young brave men, not ostrisize them and place them into solitary confinement until enough evidence can be fabricated and send them to prison for the rest of their lives.
I don't like Bush. I think he is dishonest as a man. I also can see him using these soldiers to try and improve his position in the polls and using it to pull the Republicans from the doldrums. I can also see the Military Commanders using it to say......we don't accept criminal behavior on the part of our military personel. Well folks, to me it's all bullshit.
I think these Marines are getting the shaft for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. If the military wasn't bent on destroying these guys lives, then why are they already in solitary confinement? Seems like civil rights violations to me....then again...I'm not a military man, never was, and never will be.
No matter the outcome.....GOOD LUCK TO YOU MARINES.....I think you're going to need it.

L8TR
Chris

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home